Posts

Monday - Music Tuesday - Interviews Wednesday - Reviews Thursday - Technology Friday - Blog Saturday - Random Sunday - Fashion

Tuesday 18 May 2010

INTERVIEW! - Leigh Mary Stokes

Now as soon as i herd Leigh on Myspace i instantly fell inlove with her music!
It was an honour for me to interview Leigh and i hope you love her music just as much as i do!

Your single 'Little Yellow' was recently released on 5th April. It's incredibly catchy and from what I've seen has had nothing but good reviews! Are you pleased with how it turned out?
I'm really pleased with it. Writing it was so much fun and playing it live we always had such a good reaction to it. The boys have done an excellent job in recording it (they took care of it all themselves, in house) and people seem to like it so there's not much more I could've asked for!

Your EP is titled 'Best Served With Tea and Biscuits', how did you come up with this as the title?
I Love Tea and biscuits, everything is better when served with them.
Is sitting down with some biscuits and a brew how you like to relax when you have time to yourself?
yes.

What's your favorite part about going on tour?
Our van: Big Bertha. There's nothing quite like getting in a bus with your friends and your gear and setting off to somewhere you've never been to play to people you don't know. Half Anxious and Half excited, you get a buzz from knowing you can never know what to expect.

Who are your biggest influences?
It would be such an easy answer to just say "everyone, i like all music". But I suppose the first songs I learnt when I started playing guitar were Dolly Parton, Devendra Banhart, The Pipettes and The Rolling Stones... But I have drawn influence from so many places. In terms of songwriting most of my influence comes from people going about their everyday lives... in which sense, anyone can be an influence.
What inspires you in your songwriting?
The mundane and ordinary, the new and exciting, love, hate and emotions and generally just life. Throw in some cartoons and milkshakes and we're there.

How would you describe your style?
bouncy indie-pop, to dance and sing along to. Little catchy pop songs - because anyone that says they don't like pop music is lying. Everyone needs something to just sit back and enjoy. Sunshine music :)
How long have you been interested in music?
My whole life. I'm from a family of big music lovers who have taken me to festivals since day dot. I owe them a lot :)
Out of all the songs you have recorded so far, is there one you are especially proud of?
I love Little Yellow because it was a real homegrown, DIY effort from myself and the 3 boys in the band - who turn out to be pretty swanky producers if I do say so myself.

If you could duet with anyone, dead or alive, who would it be?
I don't know! I would say Dolly, but I don't think it would work, i'm a bit too Portsmouth and she's a bit too Texas for a track to make sense... I think i'd have to say, maybe, Ben Folds? That would be amazing. Or The Postal Service, if they'd have me!
If you had any advise for someone who wanted to be a musician what would it be?
My best tip would be to start playng open-mic nights at local pubs etc. If it hadn't been for my local one I wouldn't even be playing now. They showed me so much support and introduced me to so many wonderful and helpful people.

What are your goals for the future?
Realistic or other? To have Mick Jagger on speed dial and do lunch with Katy Perry. Anywhere inbetween what we're doing now and that will suffice! I'm having a great time so i'm happy to keep on keeping on. If in the mean time I could trick my kitten into liking me as well, i'd be chuffed to bits :)

Favorite Quote?
"You Don't Make Friends With Salad" - Homer Simpson

CHECK OUT LEIGH ON MYSPACE:
http://www.myspace.com/leighstokesmusic
And Check out her site!
http://www.leighmarystokes.co.uk/
 
Her single 'Little Yellow' is out on itunes NOW so go and get it!

No comments:

Post a Comment